27 Feb Celebrate National Chili Day!
Did you know that today is National Chili Day? One of the great things about chili is you can be so inventive with it! To celebrate, we’ve compiled a list of yummy ingredients you can add to your chili that aren’t just your run-of-the-mill ground beef, tomato sauce, kidney beans and cumin. Experiment with a few of these ingredients, have fun, and see if you can create your new favorite chili recipe!
- Green bell peppers
- Red bell peppers
- Diced yellow onion
- Sliced green onion
- Cannellini beans
- Butternut squash
- Minced garlic
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Jalapeno peppers
- Lime juice
- Cayenne pepper
While you’re experimenting with different ingredients, why not get creative with the way you serve your chili too? There’s so much more you can do aside from just sticking it in a bowl and tossing some shredded cheese or sour cream on top. Here are a few ideas:
- Chili Mac. It’s two of America’s favorite foods in one! If you haven’t tried chili and mac n’ cheese together, you don’t know what you’re missing.
- Chili dogs. Sonic the Hedgehog loves them. We’re sure you will too!
- Chili over rice. Especially useful if you have leftover chili that isn’t quite enough for everyone, you can stretch it out with the quick and easy solution of cooking up some rice.
- Chili burgers and fries. The next time you have burgers and fries, try topping one (or both!) with chili for some variety.
- A different kind of shepherd’s pie. Bake your chili in a dish with mashed potatoes on top for an interesting take on a classic meal.
- Enchiladas. All you need for easy enchiladas is to fry some corn tortillas, roll them around shredded cheese and top them off with your chili.
- Cornbread chili. For a twist on chili and cornbread, bake your chili in a dish with generous dollops of cornbread batter on top.
- Chili stuffed peppers. Just like you would to make beef stuffed peppers, hollow out a green bell pepper, fill it with chili and parmesan cheese and bake it.
Chili is really one of the most versatile dishes out there. You can do so much with it!
Your friends at Spivey Insurance hope you enjoy trying one of these ideas for your next potluck, cookout or family dinner. Be sure to connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn or Pinterest for more fun content!