15 Aug How to Continue to Stay Safe from Summer Storms
With summer coming to a close and school starting up, it has seemed that the NC thunderstorms are just now gearing up. We wanted to refresh some specific thunderstorm preparation and protection because it’s only a matter of time. Because these storm occurrences are random and can come with little warning Spivey Insurance wants to make sure you have the information you need.
Sometimes a thunderstorm will hit and you may not have enough time to go through a checklist to make sure you have everything you need and are practicing proper safety. Whether you’re in your home or on the road, you should know what to do in case a storm approaches suddenly. Thankfully, our agency has the perfect guideline for you:
- Avoid using electrical equipment: If you happen to be inside your home, refrain from using telephones and any other electrical utilities. These may short circuit during the storm and could potentially harm you while using them.
- For the road: If you’re in the car and get caught in a storm the number one thing you should is reduce your speed. If the weather becomes severe, pull over to the side of the road and wait for the storm to pass.
- Stay clear of trees: If you’re outdoors try to find shelter in a building if you’re able to. The last thing you want to do is take cover under a tree because they are commonly struck by lightning.
- Always have an emergency kit. If the power happens to go out make sure you have extra batteries, flashlight, and some candles to spare.
- Safety inside the home. Make sure to stay clear from any windows and close doors securely. Also avoid taking a shower and bath during thunderstorms.
To ensure your safety as summer is coming to an end make sure you follow the guidelines above to ensure that you have a happy and safe season. If you have any more questions please contact us at 704-821-4460 or stop by our office. Make sure you stay connected with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Google Plus