09 Jun Secrets to a Long and Happy Life!
It’s impossible to live forever, but most of us delay the unavoidable as long as possible. Walter Breuning, a retired railroad worker from Great Falls, Montana succeeded at this better than most by living to be 114 years old. Breuning recently died of natural causes; he beat the average age of time of death in the U.S. (which is just under 78) by 36 years!
Think about it this way, Breuning has a life that spanned the entire 20th century. Born in 1896, his birth year marked the beginning of the Klondike Gold Rush. A decade later, Breuning saw the launch of the first modern battleship, Britain’s HMS Dreadnought. He bought his first car for a then-considerable sum of $150 in 1919. Still a young man in 1927, he witnessed Babe Ruth hit 60 home runs in a Yankees uniform. Breuning also witnessed both the beginning years of human flight, along with space travel becoming an almost routine practice.
There are several theories about what leads to longevity. Because of the deadliness of lung cancer, one of the best things you can do is simply not smoke. Most exercise gurus assert that physical fitness is the key to a long life. However, the world’s oldest man gave his own advice…
In an interview, Breuning offered this advice about having a long and happy life:
- Accepting change, even when change is disappointing. No one ever said everything would go your way.
- Limiting yourself to two meals a day. At 5 foot 8 and 125 pounds, the lean Breuning restricted his meals in his final years to breakfast and lunch, with lots of fruit. He skipped dinner, but drank plenty of water.
- Continuing to work as long as you are able. After retiring from the railroad, he volunteered for the local Shriners chapter until he was 99.
- Finding ways to help others. As Breuning told the Associated Press, “The more you do for others, the better shape you’re in.”
- Accepting death. The world’s oldest man said acknowledging the inevitability of death is one of the keys to enjoying a long life. Never be afraid of death, Breuning said, because you’re born to die.
Many people have an easier time accepting death when they know that the loved ones they are leaving behind will be financially supported. One of the main purposes of life insurance is to provide for those who rely on your income after you are gone. It is wise advice that, if you have dependents, you should buy enough life insurance so that when combined with other sources of income, it will replace the income you now generate for them. Also, always remember to frequently review your life insurance policy throughout the phases of your life.
For more information on North Carolina life insurance visit our website or call one of our helpful agents at 877-318-5951 to learn more about all of your Charlotte, NC insurance needs!
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.