23 Jul 10 Ways to Prepare Your Home Before You Leave for Vacation
Summer is not over yet. There is still time to relax and take some time off work and enjoy a family vacation. Here at Spivey Insurance Group we want to make sure you are protected when you are out of town. Follow these ten tips to make sure you have a worry free vacation.
- Make sure to shut off the main water valve to keep pipes from bursting in your home.
- Tell your neighbors you are going out of town. Always let your neighbors know so they can watch your house for you.
- Park your car inside the garage
- Leave a few lights on. You can always purchase a few automatic timers
- Unplug unnecessary appliances. This will help against lightning strikes
- See if a neighbor can get your mail or have it stopped for long vacations
- Clean out the refrigerator. Double check and throw out all leftovers and food that will expire while you are a way.
- Use outdoor motion sensor lights in the evenings
- Call your credit card company and let them know you will be on vacation. Make sure to tell them where you will be vacating.
- Make sure your house looks like someone has been living in it. Hire someone to mow your lawn, water your flowers, and take out the garbage.
Everyone wants to have a memorable vacation plus have a smooth re-entry back to their home. One other tip to include is making sure you share your photos on social media once you have returned. A big mistake that people do while on vacation is post on social media that they are on vacation. This is a red flag for burglars to invade your home. Here at Spivey Insurance we want to make sure you have a fun and safe family vacation. If you have any questions about your home or auto policy before going out of town give one of the agents at a call at 704-821-4460. Share with us what you will be doing this summer on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and Google Plus!