02 Dec Charlotte Insurance & Pedestrian Safety
Posted at 11:40h in Blog 0 Comments
Charlotte has recently been named one of the most dangerous cities for pedestrians! That’s not a very nice accolade to have, but there are things we can do to improve conditions for pedestrians on our streets. First, everyone should make sure they have Charlotte insurance. This includes both health insurance and auto insurance, both of which can protect those that are injured in a collision. Here are some other tips, for both drivers and pedestrians, to keep our streets and sidewalks safe!
- Be predictable! Don’t dart across the street between cars. Only cross the street at crosswalks and when it is legal to do so.
- If there are no sidewalks and you must walk on the road, walk towards traffic, not with it.
- Make it easy for drivers to see you. Wear bright colors, and avoid walking at night. If you must, wear reflective materials.
- Don’t trust a driver to see you. Be extremely wary of every car that is approaching. Someone may be distracted by a cell phone or a screaming child and not be paying attention to the road, or you.
- Just as alcohol can impair your ability to drive, it can impair your ability to walk. If you must walk home after drinking, have a sober friend accompany you, just as you would have a designated driver.
- Always be alert. You can always encounter a pedestrian, even in areas where they aren’t supposed to be. If you think you won’t see anyone walking on an abandoned back road, think again.
- When entering a crosswalk area, even if you have a green light, slow down and be on the lookout for anyone attempting to cross the street.
- Stop for pedestrians crossing the street, even if they aren’t at a crosswalk. Stop back far enough so that drivers behind you have time to stop, too.
- Be especially attentive around schools, playgrounds, and other areas where children are active and may dart into the road.
- If a driver stops or slows down in front of you, always assume he’s stopping for a pedestrian. Do not attempt to overtake and pass him, as a person may be crossing in front of him.
We can all work together to eliminate Charlotte from the list of most dangerous cities for pedestrians. Always be on the lookout, whether you’re a driver or a pedestrian, and verify your Charlotte insurance coverage!
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.