15 Apr Tips For Driving In Harsh Weather Conditions On the Road
As the saying goes, April showers bring May flowers. This in mind, as we near the middle of April the weather is going to be unpredictable during the next few weeks as the warm and cold air masses mix.
You may be caught in a severe thunderstorm while on the road sometime soon. Below are a list of thoughts and tips to keep in mind while we enjoy the warmer weather of spring!
While driving to home or from work keep these in mind.
– Tune in to your radio to stay informed of approaching storms.
– Turn on your headlights (low beams) and slow down. Many states require the use of headlights during rain.
– Allow extra distance for braking.
– Do not drive unless necessary.
– Pull safely onto the shoulder of the road away from any trees that could fall on the vehicle.
– Stay in the car and turn on the emergency flashers until the heavy rains subside.
– An automobile provides better insulation against lightning than being in the open.
– Avoid contact with any metal conducting surfaces either inside your car or outside.
– Avoid flooded roadways.
– Avoid downed power lines.
– Check your windshield wipers and tires regularly to insure that they are ready for severe weather.
– Approach intersections with caution
– Treat traffic lights at intersections as stop signs.
We want everyone to be safe on the road! If an accident does occur we here at Spivey Insurance Group will make sure that you are protected. Get the most fitting North Carolina Auto Insurance Policy today for you and your family.